Saturday, July 31, 2010

You don't need an eraser

When I was a little younger - say 20, 25 years - I spent a lot of time drawing.  My family liked what I did, of course, and while I was pleased by this, the back of my brain told me that they were supportive because they had to be.  After all, they loved me - didn't they have to tell me they liked my creations?  Ah, the wicked tricks my perfectionistic mind played on me.  Luckily, I never let my doubts stop me from creating for personal pleasure.  I drew, wrote poetry, sewed - anything reflective and quiet captivated me.  But to create to share?  I never thought I was "good enough" for that.

Enter Ms. Gearhart, grade 10 English.  Something about her led me to open up and try things that I don't think I would have otherwise tried.  I wrote most of my poetry during the three years that she was my teacher.  It was a juicy time and I think it was then that I began to question the idea that no one else would be interested in the things I created.  Could it be possible that I was capable?  Her encouragement and support led me to think that I might like to be a writer when I grew up.  As it turned out, I became a teacher instead.  Something great about teaching is the variety of activities we get to plan out and take part in.  I get to teach writing, and I get to write.  I get to teach art, and I get to share my creativity on a small scale.

I have been teaching for ten years this fall.  It seems like a very long time, and simultaneously not long enough.  Each class I have worked with has provided me with the opportunity to grow and learn alongside them.  For many years, one of my mantras has been: "There are no mistakes in art - you don't need an eraser".  It's easy, as the teacher, to talk more than you listen.  It wasn't until two years ago that I really listened to myself.  I am so glad that my ears finally began working.

The freedom I have begun to experience through this idea has offered me a kind of "lightness" that I have never before experienced.  What I needed was permission from myself to make mistakes.

Can you do without your eraser? 


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Celeste -- your blogs are very inspiring the words you choose and art you share all of it keeps my spirits high even in times of darkness. Your talents are a gift from God and by sharing them you have inspired me to search for my talents and be okay with my mistakes and to move on into the brightness that is the future. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much! I am glad you find inspiration here.

    ReplyDelete